Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Hot Springs - Day Three

     Monday's forecast high for Hot Springs, AR was 75 degrees. It was 11:15 when Travis and I started out on our hike. There was nary a cloud in the sky and the temperature was well on its way to hitting that number.
     Oh, before I talk about the hike... I forgot to mention in my previous blog that our $15/night fee here at Gulpha Gorge includes a full hookup...water, sewer and 50 amp electric!
   
   So...
   Unlike the previous day's hike I was armed with the correct trail map.  Also, this hike was going to be a bit longer than yesterday's so I brought along my hydropak, Travis' collapsible bowl and some snacks for both us us.  I wanted both of us to get a good workout so we walked at a good clip.  I had to pause only once 3/4 of the way up a particularly steep climb - I think Travis appreciated it 😉.
     It was a beautiful day for a hike - the first half  being primarily uphill. We stopped at about the halfway point for water and snacks then began the less strenuous downhill trudge.  I had kind of plotted our course the night before but referred to the trail map once to make sure we were pointed in the right direction.  We ended up hiking about 4 miles and I think it took us 1.5 hours or so.
     Some photos from our hike...
 
   






    When we got back to Gulpha Gorge I had Travis hop up on the picnic table and I Furminated the bejeeesus out of him to make sure he hadn't picked up any ticks along the way.  I also got enough dead hair off him to make another whole Golden Retriever.

                                                  Travis after his grooming
    
    I checked off a couple things on the to-do list in the afternoon - airing up the tires on the Suzuki and flushing/filling the fresh water tank on the coach.  I have a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) in the coach that allows me to keep an eye on tire pressure and temperature for both the coach and the car.  The left front tire on the car has been a little low since starting our journey but I just kept forgetting to take care of it.  Now it's done.
    We were feeling like Mexican food last night and I had spotted what looked like a good restaurant during our walk around town Sunday. Rolando's turned out to be a good choice.  Suzanne had the Tilapia Tacos and I ordered Don Quixote's Burrito with chicken... 


   Both were delicious! 
   
   The margaritas.... eh.

   Tomorrow morning we continue the journey - leaving Hot Springs and heading for Texas.
   Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment