Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap...

    We had to have Aaron in Ontario in time for his 8am flight to Detroit - which meant we were up at 5am and on the road by 5:20. Traffic was relatively light at such an early hour and we were at the airport by 6:30. It was sad to see him go but we sure had a great time during the ten days he spent with us.
     We were back at MCC by 8am. Suzanne had some work to do online and I decided it was time to clean the exterior of the coach. I'm pretty good at dusting and wiping down the coach every couple of days - and that's usually enough to keep it looking pretty sharp. But we had a few rainy days while traveling through Texas and New Mexico. The dirt and mud accumulated during that portion of the trip required a more aggressive cleaning.
    The coach was looking pretty grimy when we arrived here at Motorcoach Country Club on Sunday and for the last three days I've been parked between two very shiny motor coaches, obsessing about how filthy mine is.
     There are a couple of mobile RV washing services that do a lot of work here - but they charge between $200 and $300 for a basic wash. I'd rather put that money toward diesel fuel.
      So I got out my cleaning supplies and got to work.
      I spent the next couple of hours washing and spray-waxing the starboard side of the coach, then got out my wheel & tire cleaner and cleaned the (you guessed it) wheels and tires on that side.
   I use 303 Aerospace UV Protectant on the tires. It was recommended to me by another RVer a couple years ago and I've been using it ever since. 303 is not designed to make the tires shiny but rather to protect them from the sun's ultra violet rays and prevent premature cracking and aging. It's kind of expensive, but so is a set of eight new tires. An ounce of prevention...
  I took a break after completing my work on the starboard side of the coach (and the front) and hopped in the pool. Suzanne also took a break and sat by the pool reading for a while. I coaxed Travis in with a tennis ball. For a 'water dog' he's not all that keen on swimming. He seems to enjoy playing in rivers, where he can wade gradually into the water - but to jump headlong into a swimming pool... not so much. I tried to familiarize him with the location of the steps but he kept forgetting where they were and would try instead to climb out of the deep end. 
   Anyway, we had a good time splashing around. I held him for a while and just kind of walked around in the pool. I think he liked that. During our pool break we were surprised when this waterfall suddenly appeared. We had no idea...



    After lounging (and dozing) poolside in the sun long enough to dry off I got back to work cleaning. I managed to get the port side and port side tires and wheels washed by happy hour. Tomorrow I'll get that side detailed and that'll be that. Oh, and I also need to wash the back.
    I should have taken a before picture... here's what it looks like now...


                                              I don't have to feel embarrassed anymore.

     At around 4pm we took Travis for a long walk around the park where he met some new friends - most notably a Newfoundland (whose name I can't remember) riding around in a golf cart with her 'mom'. They stopped and chatted for a few minutes. Travis gets very excited when he meets other dogs.
   
     We were invited to Jodi & Bear's place tonight for a crawfish boil. The food was incredible!


             We brought the tequila and everything else needed to make margaritas. I tended bar.

Thanks for reading the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment