Sunday, January 7, 2018

Headed For Napa...

     We were up at 7:30 this morning and on the road by 8:30. I wasn't exactly sure where we would end up - it was either going to be Lost Hills, Ca. (270 miles) or Coalinga, Ca. (320 miles) depending on how we were feeling in the afternoon. As it turned out, we were feeling pretty good and made it all the way to Coalinga.


     Traffic got a little heavy on the 210 Freeway in the San Bernardino area but lightened up considerably as we continued through the San Gabriel Valley. Suzanne and I lived in Monrovia from 1979 to 1987. Both our kids are native Californians and were born at Arcadia Methodist Hospital. Driving through this area always brings back a lot of fond memories. We were in our early twenties and just married when we moved here. This is where we bought our first home...and our second, developed some of the most meaningful friendships of our lives, had countless fun and enriching experiences, and started a family. It was the best of times.
      I took this picture of the Myrtle Ave. exit as we passed by Monrovia. 



      In Sylmar we reached the interchange between the 210 and I-5 and began the gradual, eventually not so gradual climb to the Tejon Pass (4,144 '). As we began the steep climb up the 'Grapevine' section of the pass, I was glad we were in the Tour and not the Fleetwood Discovery we owned prior to getting the Tour.  The Discovery had a 330 Caterpillar diesel engine and the Tour has a 450 Cummins. The Tour has considerably more horsepower and is not nearly as prone to stress induced overheating as was the Discovery. On more than one occasion, when ascending some of the country's more challenging uphill grades in the Discovery, I had to pull to the side of the road to let the engine cool before continuing to the summit. A couple of continental divide crossings come to mind... as does the climb to Chiriaco Summit on I-10 west out of Indio, Ca.
     Suzanne suggested we exit in Gorman and have breakfast at a restaurant she had found online. We took the exit but after a quick visual scan at the bottom of the ramp, I decided it didn't look particularly big-rig friendly and we continued through the intersection and back up onto I-5. I've become very cautious about pulling into areas where I'm not sure I have room to turn around. As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I can't back up with the car in tow and I hate having to perform unscheduled uncouplings! We've had to do that twice on this trip so far. 😏

     Within a few hundred yards of reentering the freeway, there was a sign for a rest area three miles ahead. We pulled into the rest area where we took Travis for a walk and made turkey bacon and pancakes. 
      
    
      The fuel gauge was dipping just below the 1/2 full mark so, only 10 minutes from our destination and wanting to have a full tank in the morning, I exited, swallowed hard and paid $3.86 a gallon for 67 gallons of diesel fuel. That's $258.62. California has the highest fuel prices I've encountered so far on this cross country trip. And by higher, I'm talking like A DOLLAR PER GALLON higher than the closest runner up! The proceeds certainly aren't going toward infrastructure. Many long stretches of I-5 were in terrible condition - the worst we've experienced since leaving home. Highest fuel prices? Sh**iest roads? Hmmm... I don't get it.

     Anyway...

    Ten minutes further down the road... 

     The next exit was our exit. Imagine my disappointment when I saw that diesel fuel at this exit is $3.39 per gallon. I could have saved $31.49! 
     How unfortunate. 😕

     With our Good Sam discount, tonight's stay is setting us back $40. It's a pretty good RV park. Full 50 amp hookup, surrounded by endless almond orchards. This is California's Central Valley - a vast agricultural region.
      Earlier in the day we noticed a chip in the passenger side of the coach's HUGE windshield. After setting up at our site, I made the twenty mile round trip to O'Reilly Auto Parts in downtown Coalinga and purchased a windshield chip repair kit. On the way I passed the State Hospital and the oxymoronically named Pleasant Valley State Prison. The hospital, like the prison, is surrounded by fencing and razor wire. I suspect this is not where the good citizens of Coalinga go for their colonoscopies. I could be wrong.   
     I performed the repair procedure as instructed. Step #11 says to drive the vehicle into the sunlight as ultraviolet light is what is needed to cure the resin. 
    It was 6pm at this time. 
    We'll hope the resin cures tomorrow morning.


The adventure continues...


Thanks for reading the blog.

       
     

No comments:

Post a Comment