Sunday, January 19, 2020

"You've Stayed Here Before!"

     It seems like we've been in Texas for a month! It's a big state, and we're crossing it at it's widest point - from Texarkana to El Paso. 


     We've really only been in Texas for a week. Actually, today makes it a week and a day. 
     But it seems longer.
     
     Our fuel level was getting pretty low (1/4 tank) so before leaving Big Spring I opened my fuel card app and found a Love's truck stop about 80 miles west of our location on Interstate 20 in Odessa, TX. That would be our first and possibly only stop for the day. I took on just over $300 worth of diesel fuel (ouch!). But with my EFS fuel card I saved 52 bucks!! 

     We've been on the road for a little over a week and, having driven in the rain and parking in gravel lots, the coach had gotten pretty dirty. I hate a dirty coach. Before reaching the Odessa truck stop I had mentioned to Suzanne that if I spotted a Blue Beacon Truck Wash anywhere along our route I just might stop and have the coach washed. I've never visited a Blue Beacon but have read good things about them. 
     Well, lo and behold, there was a Blue Beacon right across the road from Love's! So, after fueling up we chugged across the street and took our place in the Blue Beacon queue. There were five trucks ahead of us and it was about ninety minutes before we entered the building... but they did a great job! The coach is spotless! Well, not exactly spotless. I spent a couple hours today with my spray wax removing water spots and making the gel coat glisten.
     The tab was just $51... and they even washed my car for free despite my asking them not to. 
     My fuel card savings paid for the wash job!


     We arrived in Van Horn, TX at 3:30 in the afternoon checking into an RV park that, as I mentioned in my previous blog, we stayed at before heading for Big Bend National Park last April. You can read about last year's Van Horn visit HERE.
     Van Horn is one of those towns that withers and dies when the Interstate goes through. Broadway, the main thoroughfare, was once the only way through these parts. The crumbling remains of mid-century architecture motels and restaurants along it's two mile length are ghostly reminders of the bustling oasis that once was Van Horn, Texas. 
     It is, however, conveniently located about 50 miles west of the convergence of Interstates 20 & 10 and, judging from the number of RV parks and gas stations in the area, a good spot for west-bound travelers to tank up and overnight before continuing on to/through El Paso.

     After setting up we hopped in the car and headed for Porter's, the local grocery store to stock up on a few items. 



     Later on I pan seared a couple salmon filets and roasted some fingerling potatoes and vegies - then we settled in to watch part three of the Aaron Hernandez Netflix documentary. Sad story.  Here's a little piece of advice: If you're ever offered like $40M to play tight end for the New England Patriots don't kill a bunch of people. It'll kinda f!#&s things up.

     So here we are, watching the Kansas City/Tennessee game. It's a little chilly outside but the sky is bright and sunny with no rain in the forecast. The lower temps are due, in part, to the higher elevation (4040 ft. according to my altimeter). We'll stay another night and head for Deming, New Mexico tomorrow morning. Earlier today I selected an RV park in Deming from the Passport America app and called to make a reservation. After giving the woman my information she said, "You've stayed here before!". I said, "I have?". She responded, "Yes. In April of 2017." I have no recollection. I'll probably recognize the place when I pull in tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for checking out the blog!

Until next time...

     

No comments:

Post a Comment