Monday, November 9, 2020

Wind, Canyons & Potty Training

     The Moab Bike Path runs parallel to SR191 running from downtown north through the valley, crossing the Colorado River, passing by the entrance to Arches National Park and continuing another 6 or so miles. It's a beautiful out & back bike path and a lot of fun to ride. I first rode it a day or two after our arrival and yesterday, despite the cold temps and wind, decided to do it again. We'll be leaving Moab Tuesday morning and, with Monday reserved for a trip to Canyonlands National Park, this would be my only opportunity for another ride.

Bike bridge over the Colorado

    The photo above was taken in calmer weather. When I crossed the bridge there were white caps on the water and the wind was blowing so hard I had to lean to the right to maintain a straight line. I continued north on the path for about 5 miles into what seemed like a slight headwind. I know the wind didn't change direction but when I turned around to head back home I was riding into the stiffest (and coldest) headwind I've ever experienced. I know Sedona has their Spiritual Vortex - maybe the Moab Bike Path is in the middle of some sort of meteorological vortex. I was tired and cold when I got back to the coach. Maybe not a great idea to take the ride in the first place - but I got a good workout.


******

     This morning, after a light breakfast, I cleaned the outside of the car windows in preparation for a trip to Canyonlands. Having been parked on gravel and pummeled by wind and rain for the past couple days, it was kind of a mess. We loaded the dogs into the car and headed north on SR191 to the Canyonlands turn-off.  A flash of our National Park Senior Pass at the Ranger station got us a jovial "how-dee-do" from the ranger, free admission (age has its perks) and a park map. Our first stop was the visitor's center where we purchased a magnet and made it all official by stamping the appropriate page in Suzanne's National Parks Passport at the stamping station. 


    We've visited Canyonlands before - but it's one of those places worthy of multiple visits...

click to enlarge

    We did some hiking during our last visit here - but today, with the temperature just below the  freezing mark, we were content to drive to the various lookouts, leaving the dogs behind to keep an eye on things for a few minutes while Suzanne and I walked to the canyon's rim to marvel at the awe inspiring vistas and take a few pics & videos.


                                              Winnie anxiously awaiting our return

******


     In the restroom (pit toilet) at Grand Point Overlook...


    Do people really need to be reminded of this? For that matter, do they need to be reminded of any of these things? It must have happened. I'm sure the park service wouldn't post such admonitions willy-nilly. 
    Yuk.

******

    It was evident that snow was falling far off in the canyons, and a few miles after completing our day at the Upheaval Dome turn-around it began coming down pretty heavy. By the time I got my phone out and ready to take a picture it had let up a bit...


******

 
    So this is our last night at The Portal RV Resort. Tomorrow morning we head back north on SR191 then west on I-70 to Salina, UT where after a zig, a zag and another zig at Salina, Scipio & Holden, UT respectively, we will continue an additional 28.8 miles northwest to Delta, UT where we will spend the night and top off the coach's 150 gallon diesel fuel tank in preparation for the 470 mile westward trek to Carson City, NV on "America's Loneliest Highway", US50... The Lincoln Highway. 



    Thanks for checking out the blog.

    P.S.
    My new glasses arrived today.











 
     


   


No comments:

Post a Comment