Monday, May 21, 2018

One More Night On The Shenandoah



  Not a whole lot to report from Outlander River Camp. We arrived here last Tuesday. It rained Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It wasn't a constant rain, but steady and heavy enough to thoroughly saturate the ground here at ORC. There is a depression in the ground just outside the door of the coach that filled with a couple inches of water - avoidance of which necessitated a sizable stride off the bottom step. The problem could have been avoided if I had only parked the coach two feet forward or backward of where I dropped anchor. Oh well. The weather for the past two days has been very nice, a little humid, but precipitation-free and in the 80 degree range. 

The Massanutten Mountains to the west


   In my last post I wrote about a 45' Entegra coach getting stuck in the mud while attempting a wide turn, from the wrong direction, down the 'pull-thru' aisle here at ORC. While I wasn't able to get a picture of the bogged down behemoth, I did take a shot of the resulting ruts...


   One of those monster tow trucks made quick work of extricating the mired motorcoach from the sodden fescue.

   Oh, Ourisman Chevrolet had neglected to perform an emissions test on the Traverse before sending me on my way. I was notified of the oversight and advised to have it inspected so they could complete the registration process and send me new stickers for my plates (tags). I had the inspection done on Saturday 5/12 and was told by Ourisman  they would send me the registration Tuesday morning. This Saturday, 5/19, assuming it had been delivered and wanting to retrieve it before continuing our journey northward (my registration expires at the end of this month) we loaded the dogs in the car and made the 81 mile trek to the Herndon post office (we put a stop on mail delivery before leaving last week) only to discover my registration hadn't yet been delivered. Imagine my disappointment. I called the dealership but the person with whom I needed to speak was off for the weekend. 
  Great.
   I'll have to ask my daughter to make a trip from her place in Maryland to the Herndon, Va. post office sometime in the next week or so and forward our mail to Massachusetts.

   As I write this there is only one other occupied RV in the park - a couple in a fifth wheel trailer about 100' from where we're parked. There were probably a dozen other rigs of various sizes and varieties that came in for the weekend, the last of which rolled out around 11:00 this morning.

   Having not made it to the gym before the 4:00pm Sunday closing, I instead logged 3 miles on the gravel roads here at ORC then showered and grilled a couple rib eye steaks to accompany the salad Suzanne had made. After supper we sat outside watching TV, sipping cocktails (a margarita for Suzanne, scotch & a cigar for me) and enjoying the beautiful sunset. 



   This morning I decided to try out a new foam polishing drill attachment I bought at Advance Auto last week. 


...and was happy with the results.

Only five more wheels to go


   I took a break from wheel polishing to toss a load of laundry in the washer but when I pushed the start button, nothing happened. My first thought was that perhaps the circuit breaker for the washer had been tripped - but it hadn't been. There are three electrical outlets inside the master bath vanity beside the washer and dryer. One is for the washer, one for the dryer and I'm not sure what the third one is for. I unplugged the washer and dryer and plugged the washer into the dryer outlet. It worked! When the wash cycle ended I plugged the dryer into the washer outlet and IT worked as well. I guess the washer just needed a 'hard reboot'. 
   Time to head for the gym for my last FREE workout. We haul anchor and head for Gettysburg, Pa. tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading the blog!



   

   




   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment