Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Back In Business!

  It's been a few weeks (I think about six) since we were last out in the coach. The main reason for the moratorium being that our 'toad' vehicle, my little 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara, was in a bad way. I had replaced the worn out tie rods and front CV axles, but a whining noise had developed in the rear end. It was getting progressively more noticeable and one day, after returning home from a drive to Alexandria, I got out and knelt behind the car to feel the differential. It was too hot to touch. The next day we traded in the Suzuki for a 2012 Chevy Traverse I had found online at Ourisman Chevrolet of Alexandria. It only had 29k miles on it and I paid well under the Kelley Blue Book valuation. Not all vehicles can be towed 'four down'. The Chevy Traverse is one that can be, and it's the vehicle I was most interested in.  I had read good things about it and wanted something a little bigger and maybe just a tad more luxurious than the Suzuki. Travis needs a little more space in which to stretch out.
   The Blue Ox towing system I have requires the installation of a 'base plate' on the vehicle being towed. The base plates are vehicle specific so I couldn't simply remove the old one from the Suzuki and install it on the Traverse. I had to buy a new one along with a new installation kit for the Air Force One braking system I would be transferring from the old car to the new along with a Hopkins wiring harness to be installed in the Traverse allowing the rear lights, brake lights and turn signals to work off the coaches lights. The ordering and installation of all this stuff took time - especially the base plate installation. It was more involved than the Suzuki installation had been, requiring two sections of frame rail to be cut out. That was just a bit intimidating. I had actually forgotten I would need a wiring harness and didn't think to order it until after having completed the base plate and brake system installs. The harness was back ordered, further delaying completion of the job.
   The harness arrived last Friday and I finished everything up Monday afternoon.
   So we're back out on the road! My nephew, Nick, is getting married June 9 in Massachusetts. We thought it might be fun to head out a little early - spend some time in the Shenandoah then up into Pennsylvania (maybe Gettysburg) eventually arriving in central Massachusetts in time for the nuptials.  My mom, sister and brothers live in the area and I haven't seen them in almost a year, so we're looking forward to getting back together with family. After the wedding we may head up into New Hampshire and Maine. I have a hankerin' for various steamed and fried crustaceans and mollusks.
   I had my fingers crossed as we attached the Traverse to the coach for the first time at the storage facility in Manassas. I had wired the 'six round' receptacle on the car according to the industry standard, knowing not all RV manufacturers adhere to that standard. Luckily everything worked as it should and we were off and running ...with lights, brakes and ev-uh-thin!!

All hooked up and ready to roll! 
(And a nice color match - don't you think?)


View of the Traverse in the rear view monitor

   The forecast was not favorable for the drive out to Luray Tuesday evening. We had had some pretty severe weather the night before, complete with tornado warnings and no-nonsense National Weather Service cell phone admonitions to head for your basement - which we did. 
  I had washed the coach a few days earlier and was hoping for a precipitation-free run to the Shenandoah. But it was not to be. The good news is that the roads had been washed fairly clean by the previous day's downpour. The coach looks...okay.

   Winnie settled in beside Suzanne and slept for the entire trip. I have a feeling she's gonna be just fine with this nomadic lifestyle.



   This morning we did some grocery shopping at the Luray Walmart Supercenter and took Winnie for her first shopping cart ride. She seemed to enjoy the experience!



   Monday was Suzanne's birthday. Here she is at her workstation in the coach behind the bouquet of roses she got from Allie and Andy...



   It's overcast now and the forecast is calling for rain for the next few days. I have several projects I'd like to complete before rolling out of here next Tuesday morning. With a little cooperation from mother nature, maybe I won't get soaked in the process.


Thanks for checking out the blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment