Wednesday, March 21, 2018

November 22, 1963

   It's been three days since Suzanne left for New York City on business. She left from Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and will be returning to Dallas Love Field (DAL) sometime tomorrow night (she's supposed to be sending me her flight info this afternoon). It's been a little quieter than usual, but Travis and I have managed to stay busy - and out of trouble.
   Monday afternoon we went for a 4.2 mile walk along the Carrollton Blue Trail, a very nicely maintained paved walking/biking trail that winds its way through alternately grassy and wooded areas of Carrollton. There are ponds located along the route and a couple footbridges crossing streams. It was a beautiful, cloudless day and both Travis and I had a great time. We walked at a brisk pace so I could get a little bit of a workout and Travis could work off a little excess energy. I think we succeeded on both counts.

   Yesterday, after doing some badly needed grocery shopping at the local Kroger's and playing with Travis at the dog park, I got out my tools and the new tie rods for the Suzuki I had shipped here (and that were waiting for me when we arrived), jacked up the car, climbed underneath and got to work. I had ordered inner and outer tie rods and the driver's side CV axle. In the end, however, I decided to replace only the outer tie rods. We're planning to sell the Suzuki this year and replace it with something a little newer/bigger. The outer tie rods were really the only things that needed immediate replacing. I didn't feel like getting any deeper into the job and I'll include the remaining new parts in the sale. There has been an audible clunking sound coming from the front end - especially at slow speeds while turning. Since installing the new parts I haven't heard any clunking. Success!
***
   I've always had a sort of fascination with the JFK assassination and surrounding events. I'm old enough to remember. I was in the second grade and can remember our teacher, Mrs. Moreau, in tears, telling the class just before Friday dismissal, that President Kennedy had been shot. I remember watching, with my family, the nonstop television coverage that weekend - and that there was no school on Monday. I'm sure I wasn't old enough at the time to completely comprehend all that was going on - but I do remember feeling very sad and I think that even at such a young age, it had a profound effect on me.

   Today I visited Dealey Plaza. 
   Dallas is kind of a tough city to navigate. I was holding my phone in my right hand with my glasses on as I neared my destination - the twists, turns, forks etc. appearing in rapid succession. I made a quick, last second adjustment at a fork separating Elm & Commerce and, passing under a small bridge, found myself smack-dab in the middle of Dealey Plaza with the 'grassy knoll' to my left! It was kind of a surreal experience. I've been to many historically significant venues in my life but this particular one, for whatever reason, holds a singular fascination for me. 
   I made my way to the parking lot I knew, from yesterday's research, was located behind the book depository, parked the car and walked one block south on S. Houston to the corner of S. Houston & Elm. As I turned the corner onto Elm I had the realization that six floors directly above me was the window through which Lee Harvey Oswald shot President Kennedy. 
   Dealey Plaza looks almost exactly as it did fifty five years ago. If this horrible tragedy hadn't occurred  I'm sure the aging brick buildings would long since have been replaced by modern high-rises. I truly had the feeling I was stepping back in time.
   Some pictures I took...





The spot from which Abraham Zapruder shot his famous footage




   Notice the word "allegedly" and that someone has taken the time to make sure readers notice it...


Plaque on the outside of the former Texas Book Depository


    Tours are timed and I had an 11am reservation. I arrived thirty minutes early but the guy behind the ticket counter let me in anyway. The entire 6th floor is a museum displaying photos, videos and artifacts relating to events of November 22, 1963 and visitors are issued self-guided audio tour equipment before entering the elevator in the lobby. Some of the more interesting exhibits:
- The hat Jack Ruby was wearing when he shot Oswald
- Oswald's wedding ring
- The suit Dallas homicide detective Jim Leavelle was wearing when Oswald was shot.


   Picture taking was not allowed on the 6th floor but visitors are able to climb a flight of stairs to the 7th floor where photos from the window directly above the infamous 6th floor window are allowed. The area on the 6th floor,from where L.H.O shot the President, is enclosed by Plexiglas walls. Specially made, period appropriate boxes have been placed as they were on that day.



   From Dealey Plaza I drove the mile or so to the jail/municipal building where Oswald was held and ultimately killed...



   Then to L.H.O's rooming house at 1026 N. Beckley...


   And finally, to the Texas Theater in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, where L.H.O. was apprehended...


   For someone interested in the events of November 22, 1963, it was a fascinating way to spend a few hours in Dallas.

   I was back at the coach by 3pm taking Travis to the dog park for some much needed play time.


Thanks for checking out the blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment