Sunday, March 11, 2018

Get Your Kicks On Rt. 66!

   We spent Friday and Saturday at Havasu Falls RV Resort. It was a nice enough park, although after having spent time at Motorcoach Country Club, I feel like the term "Resort" is used way too liberally by way too many RV parks. I feel the same about the overuse of the words "awesome" and "amazing". If everything is awesome and amazing, what words are left to describe things that are truly awesome and amazing... like when Yellowstone finally erupts or when my dog learns to balance a treat on his nose until I tell him it's okay to eat it?


                                                            Resort? You decide.


    Saturday morning Suzanne and I had breakfast at Makai Cafe located at the western end of the London Bridge. They offer outside seating and we scored what seemed to be the best table on the patio - with a great view of the bridge.
   After breakfast we took a stroll along the water and under and over (and back over) the bridge. How the bridge was acquired, transported and reassembled is a pretty interesting story. You can read all about it HERE.



     I grilled salmon, asparagus and those little purple potatoes Saturday night and we watched the last episode of Blue Bloods available on Netflix. I think we're now caught up with the current season and will have to either wait for the end of the season in order to watch it on Netflix or buy it on Amazon. We'll figure it out.
    It rained overnight. The sound of rain on the roof always puts me to sleep quickly. I barely read a page in my book.
    We got up early and after getting everything packed away and getting disconnecting from shore power we were on the road by 8am; our destination being somewhere east of Flagstaff, AZ. with a detour along a ninety mile stretch of Old Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman. 



     I took a short video early on in today's journey.




     The skies were very overcast during the route 66 portion of our trip but it was a beautiful drive nonetheless. Adding to the nostalgic feel of this iconic stretch of road were the occasional clusters of old fashioned Burma-Shave signs. They arrived in sets of five and we got a real kick out of reading them.


     Before rejoining route 40 East we stopped in Seligman, AZ. It was a tacky, tourist trappy kind of place, but not without a certain amount of charm. I snugged the coach up against the curb and we checked out a couple of gift shops, had breakfast at a 50's cafe and, of course, bought a magnet.



     I had found a Passport America affiliated RV (yes, RESORT!) online the night before our departure from Lake Havasu and was excited about spending only $40 for a two night stay. After arriving, checking in and leveling the coach I suggested we conduct a connectivity experiment. The woman in the office warned that (1) their wifi was sketchy and (2) Verizon didn't have a tower in the immediate area and our hot spots might not work very well. Suzanne needs ultra-reliable connectivity for her work so I wanted to make sure, before setting up and settling in, that she'd be good to go for work Monday morning. As we suspected, their internet sucked and we had only one bar of 3G with Verizon.  I walked back to the office, got a refund and we drove six miles back west on I40 to the KOA in Holbrook, AZ...where I sit... in the coach...writing this blog.

    We'll be staying here for two nights since Suzanne is anticipating a busy couple of days of work. 
    Oh, and it rained for most of the time we were on I40 this afternoon - and the coach is filthy! So much for the $280 wash and wax job she got in SoCal. 
    They allow RV washing here so I'll be doing that at some point tomorrow. 
     Also, I was down to half a tank of diesel fuel when we left La Quinta. I usually fill up at that point but was determined to avoid the OUTRAGEOUSLY high California fuel prices and was able to make it to Lake Havasu with about 1/16th of a tank remaining. I filled up at a Circle K this morning before departing L.H. where I paid $3.00 per gallon instead of $3.90 (plus) in California. I've seen a couple stations here in Holbrook selling diesel for $2.75 and will be filling up before we leave Tuesday. 


Thanks for checking out the blog!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment