Monday, March 12, 2018

Wigwams!

    (Click on highlighted text. They're links!)

     Not a whole lot to write about tonight. Suzanne had a busy day of conference calls. For the three  months we spent in California - and even now in Arizona, a state that doesn't use Daylight Saving Time, she's had to get up at 5:30am Monday thru Friday to be ready to conduct business with her colleagues in Manhattan at 9am EST. She's a morning person, often up at 5:30 anyway, so she seems okay with that.

    Travis and I spent some quality time at the dog park this morning then I washed and dried the coach. It takes a while to wash and dry a 43' motorcoach, but it was filthy and it needed to be done. Besides, I kind of enjoy it. I'm pretty fussy about keeping the coach clean. I mentioned in a recent post that I had it professionally cleaned and waxed before leaving Indian Wells RV Resort. That was the first time I've ever done that. I've always washed and waxed it myself - usually using a spray wax like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer or something similar after washing and drying. I use Mothers Aluminum Polish on the wheels and 303 UV Protectant on the tires. I just bought a bottle of  White Diamond Metal Polish to try on the wheels instead of Mothers - kind of anxious to see how it works.
     There were a couple reasons for having the coach professionally washed and waxed before leaving IWRVR. During our stay there we had a few days of pretty heavy winds that kicked up a s%#t ton of dust from the recently excavated area behind our site. The roof had a pretty thick layer of dust/sand on it. Also, the water at IWRVR has a very high alkaline content and unless one is able to immediately dry things off, the spots left behind are very difficult to remove. The wash & wax cost me $280, which was actually a pretty reasonable price. I had gotten significantly higher quotes from other mobile RV wash companies in the area. There was a crew washing a coach at Havasu Falls RV Resort and, out of curiosity, I asked how much they charged. Ten dollars per foot (a pretty standard fee)! 43' x $10 = $430. I think I got a bargain with Jose at $280.

     Anyway, the coach is looking pretty good now and I can continue driving eastward down I-40 without feeling embarrassed.

     After finishing our tasks we took Travis for a walk around the park and then to the dog park for more fun than a dog should have retrieving balls. Then we hopped in the car and tooled around town in search of an early supper. Not surprisingly, there's not a lot happening, culinarily speaking, in the greater Holbrook, AZ area so, instead, we did a little light grocery shopping at the local Safeway and I cooked supper back at the coach.
     Old Rt. 66 passes right through downtown Holbrook and there are several 50's era motels - some still open for business, others appear to have been closed for decades. By far, the most interesting of the still-operational establishments is the Wigwam Motel...


       And get this... each wigwam comes complete with its own vintage automobile!

      
      We drove into the parking lot and I took a few photos. If we weren't driving our overnight accommodations, we might have been tempted to spend a night or two in a wigwam. Or maybe not.

   
     Tonight's sunset wasn't nearly as spectacular as some of those we witnessed in the Coachella Valley, but it didn't suck.


    There are a few things I would have liked to have seen/done during our stay here but we just didn't have enough time. I suppose I could have ventured out and checked one or two items off the list... but the coach really did need to be washed. And besides, Suzanne wouldn't have been able to come with. What fun would that be?  I've started emailing myself things I'd like to see and do on subsequent trips around the country and have created a special folder in which to save them. So many cool things to do!

     Tomorrow Suzanne's last call is at 11am. I'll have everything stowed and be ready to roll when she's done. We have a really interesting destination planned! Stay tuned! I'll tell you all about it!

Thanks for checking out the blog! 

 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment